Basketball Australia is committed to caring for the health and well-being of our basketball community.
As the Coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic continues to develop around the globe and shift our everyday lives, Basketball Australia would like to provide you with an avenue for resources and information such as Health and Government updates, State-specific information, as well as the most up-to-date information regarding our programs across the country.
Read about the latest decisions being made by Basketball Australia and the actions being taken in preparation for COVID-19.
Please stay safe, during these unprecedented times and continue to take precautions necessary and enforced by State and National Government.
We will continue to keep you updated via this page.
Return to Basketball
On Wednesday 20 May 2020, Basketball Australia released Return to Basketball Guidelines to support state and territory member associations and the basketball community across Australia in bringing a safe return to grassroots basketball.Basketball Australia has worked closely with state and territory associations on these guidelines, which are in line with the Federal Government’s National Principles for the Resumption of Sport and the AIS Framework for Rebooting Sport in a COVID-19 Environment.
In creating these guidelines, Basketball Australia aims to provide members and the community with clarity on what activities can resume and how best to create a safe training environment depending on the differing levels of restrictions imposed by governments.
The principles of the Return to Basketball Guidelines include:
- Provide the basketball community with clarity on what activities may be able to occur at each stage of lifted restrictions
- Education to all participants about COVID-19 risk mitigation strategies
- Assessment and preparation of the training and playing environment
- Assessment of participants prior to the resumption of training and competition
- Delivery and ongoing management of training and competition including venue management
These Return to Basketball Guidelines were developed in line with expert advice from Australian Institute of Sport Chief Medical Officer, Dr David Hughes and Basketball Australia Chief Medical Officer, Dr Peter Harcourt.
- Government Resources
- World Health Organisation
- Take the COVID-19 Course
- Basketball Australia Statement
- States & Territory updates
- Return to Basketball Guidelines
- Return to Basketball source
- Stay safe bulk sanitiser offer
- Tips for changing the flow of people in venues
- Tips for effective communication
- Basketball Australia’s educational videos
- Basketball Australia’s educational podcasts
Basketball Australia Program Updates
As the national body, Basketball Australia makes recommendations to States & Territories based on the best possible expert medical information unique to our sport at the time. Any State or Territory or Local Association making a decision to suspend/cancel their competition/programs/events is a matter for each State/Territory/Association.For updates on States & Territories click here
Mental Health Support Resources
Remember to look after yourself and others during this time, and always ask for help if you need it.If you are struggling the following services are available:
- National Coronavirus Helpline: 1800 020 080
- For immediate support call Lifeline on 13 11 14 and in an emergency, always call triple zero (000).
- Beyond Blue – 1300 22 4636
- Kids Help Line – 1800 55 1800