Chair of the Basketball Australia Board Scott Derwin was this week elected to the FIBA Central Board for the 2014-2019 term of office.
Delegates from 116 national federations in attendance at the FIBA World Congress elected 12 of the potential 29 members that will make up the Central Board – and Horacio Muratore, who succeeds Yvan Mainini in becoming the new President of FIBA, was elected by acclamation.
Also elected to the Central Board were:
- Anibal Manave (MOZ) and Clotaire Celestine Ajanohoun (BEN) of FIBA Africa;
- Jim Tooley (USA), Michelle O’Keefe (CAN) and Marcelo Bedoya (PAR) of FIBA Americas;
- Tian Xiao (CHN) of FIBA Asia;
- Jose Luis-Saez (ESP), Cyriel Coomans (BEL), Lena Wallin-Kantzy (SWE) and Jean-Pierre Siutat
(FRA) of FIBA Europe; and
- Deborah K Shoniber (MIS) of FIBA Oceania.
They join the presidents of FIBA’s five continental zones: Hamane Niang (MLI) of Africa, Usie Richards (USV) of the Americas, Sheikh Saud Bin Ali Al-Thani (QAT) of Asia, Turgay Demirel (TUR) of Europe and Burton Shipley (NZL) of Oceania.
Ingo Weiss will take over as FIBA Treasurer from the outgoing Manfred Stroher, who retires after more than 40 years of loyal service to FIBA.
The newly-appointed Central Board will meet for the first time on Saturday 13 September in Madrid, on the occasion of the final weekend of the FIBA Basketball World Cup.