BA STATEMENT REGARDING CORONAVIRUS PRECAUTIONARY MEASURES
Dear Australian basketball community,
Based on the press conference and communication by the Prime Minister and Premiers this afternoon, the Government is taking a “step change” approach to the situation based on expert medical advice and as of Monday 16 March 2020, there will be restrictions regarding gatherings of 500 people or more and non-essential overseas travel.
Despite the Government recommendation not being actionable until Monday, based on discussion with our Chief Medical Officer, the Board of Basketball Australia wishes to take a more proactive approach in protecting the health and wellbeing of the players and the families of our basketball community.
As such, Basketball Australia strongly recommends competitions around Australia are postponed as of 7.00am Saturday 14 March 2020, and that this position is maintained until further notice.
If you decide that your competition should proceed then Basketball Australia recommends that the following restrictions should apply:
- Only support personnel and parents should attend any games
- Anyone who is experiencing symptoms or believe they may have been in contact with someone with the coronavirus should not attend
- People over the age of 50 should reconsider attending games
- Visible signage should be displayed before entry and throughout the venue notifying patrons of potential risks
- All venues should have hand sanitiser and/or wipes upon entrance and exit readily available and accessible for patrons adequate to meet the demand of the crowd
- These non-essential events should have no more than 500 people in attendance.
Basketball Australia has formed a Steering Group which includes medical experts to oversee the rapidly changing environment. This group will engage with all stakeholders to ensure appropriate engagement across the whole of sport.
Please note the 2020 Australian Under-18 Championships is also under review.
The virus and potential implications are changing constantly, will be monitored and acted upon accordingly, and we will keep you updated as new information comes to hand.