Dear Australian basketball community,
Basketball Australia prioritises the health and safety of the basketball community and in this current climate, we have determined the Australian Junior Championships scheduled for April will no longer be proceeding.
At this stage we are investigating the option of moving these championships to a different window, however, this has not yet been confirmed. We strongly recommend all States cease training their respective teams for the Australian Junior Championship effective immediately. We advise all teams, their families and supporters to proceed with cancelling existing travel arrangements and take advantage of credit being offered by providers.
Basketball Australia is working within three key principles:
- Observing government guidelines
- Seeking advice of contemporary health and safety experts
- Ensuring the safety of the basketball community.
Please note the following key points:
- Information is changing daily and sometimes multiple times in one day. As a result, we must all stay fluid and when additional information comes to hand, Basketball Australia will issue advice accordingly.
- As the national body, Basketball Australia makes recommendations to States & Territories based on the best possible expert medical information unique to our sport at the time. Any State or Territory or Local Association making a decision to suspend/cancel their competition/programs/events is a matter for each State/Territory/Association.
Basketball Australia supports the government in slowing this epidemic and reducing the peak to protect those most vulnerable in the community. As such, we will continue to provide advice as it evolves and continue to assess the risk of each of our competitions, programs and events accordingly.
We thank you for your support and understanding in this rapidly changing environment.
CEO, Basketball Australia