Patty’s on court achievements are well documented and his accolades much deserved. It’s his contribution off the court where he leads by his actions and words in uniting communities and enacting change.
Patty was awarded an AM (Member of the Order of Australia) for significant service to basketball, to charitable initiatives, and to the Indigenous community.
Patty’s support for Indigenous programs and advocacy for change is well documented. As the founder of the Indigenous Basketball Australia (IBA) he has created opportunities for Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander young people to advance in sport and succeed in life. The IBA provides opportunities on and off the court in a safe and inclusive environment, encouraging participants to realise their dreams.
For more information on the Indigenous Basketball Australia (IBA) click here.
Patrick Sammy MILLS AM
- Captain, Australian Boomers – Men’s Basketball Team, since 2020 and Member, since 2007
- Member, Australian Junior Team, 2006.
- Gold Medallist, FIBA Oceania Championship, 2015, 2013, 2011 and 2007.
- Bronze Medallist and Captain, Australian Boomers – Men’s Basketball Team, Tokyo 2020.
- Team Member, Australian Boomers, – Men’s Basketball Team, Rio de Janeiro 2016, London 2012 and Beijing 2008.
- Leading points scorer per game (21.2), London, 2012.
- Australian Team Joint Flag Bearer, Opening Ceremony, Tokyo 2020.
National Basketball Association (NBA), USA
- Player, Brooklyn Nets, since 2021.
- Player, San Antonio Spurs, 2012-2021 and Winner NBA Championships 2014.
- Player, Portland Trail Blazers, 2009-2011.
National Basketball League, Australia
- Player, Melbourne Tigers, 2011-2012.
Indigenous Basketball Australia
- Founder, since 2021.
- Founder, Indigenous Community Basketball League, since 2021.
- Founder, Team Mills Foundation, since 2020.
- Ambassador, Cottage by the Sea, since 2012.
- Ambassador, Community Water Project, 2019.
- Supporter, Black Lives Matter Australia.
- Supporter, Black Deaths in Custody.
- Supporter, ‘We Got You’ campaign, 2020.
- Supporter, Queensland Flood victims, Wears My Shirt, 2011.
Awards and recognition include:
- NBA Cares Community Assist Award, 2021.
- Person of the Year, NAIDOC, 2017.
- ACT Young Australian of the Year, 2015.
- Male Athlete of the Year, ACT Sports, 2016.
- Gaze Medal, Basketball Australia, 2010 and 2008.
- National Sportsperson of the Year, NAIDOC, 2007.
- RE Staunton Medal, Most Valuable Player, National Under 20 Men’s Basketball Championships 2006 and 2007.
- Junior Male Player of the Year, Basketball Australia, 2006.
- Most promising new sports talent, Deadly Awards, 2006.