Hall of Fame Class: 2006
Known as ‘Big George’ in his playing days he was a pioneering player in Australian international basketball. In the 1956 Melbourne Olympic Games he was a member of the first Australian team to ever compete in an Olympic basketball competition.
As a player, he was an unstoppable 200 centimetre giant of the game. He played an impressive 11 official games for Australia including the pre-Olympic tournament in Rome in 1960.
– Unstoppable 200cm ‘giant of the game’ in the early days.
– Pioneering player in Australian international basketball.
– Played 11 official games for Australia.
– Helped South Australia dominate the Australian Championships.
– Member of the first ever Australian basketball team in Olympic Competition in Melbourne – 1956 (12th place)
– Represented Australia at the Pre-Olympic Tournament in Rome – 1960.
– Inducted into the Basketball Australia Hall of Fame in 2006.
28 November 1932 – 20 April 2021