On Wednesday 20 May 2020, Basketball Australia released Return to Basketball Guidelines to support state and territory member associations and the basketball community across Australia in bringing a safe return to grassroots basketball.
Basketball Australia has worked closely with state and territory associations on these guidelines, which are in line with the Federal Government’s National Principles for the Resumption of Sport and the AIS Framework for Rebooting Sport in a COVID-19 Environment.
In creating these guidelines, Basketball Australia aims to provide members and the community with clarity on what activities can resume and how best to create a safe training environment depending on the differing levels of restrictions imposed by governments.
The principles of the Return to Basketball Guidelines include:
- Provide the basketball community with clarity on what activities may be able to occur at each stage of lifted restrictions
- Education to all participants about COVID-19 risk mitigation strategies
- Assessment and preparation of the training and playing environment
- Assessment of participants prior to the resumption of training and competition
- Delivery and ongoing management of training and competition including venue management
These Return to Basketball Guidelines were developed in line with expert advice from Australian Institute of Sport Chief Medical Officer, Dr David Hughes and Basketball Australia Chief Medical Officer, Dr Peter Harcourt.
Click here to view Basketball Australia’s Return to Basketball Guidelines
Click here to view Return to Basketball Guidelines Appendix to access resources
Click here to view Basketball Australia's COVID-19 hub for ongoing news and updates
Last updated: 25 May 2020