Australian Hall of Fame Legend Al Ramsay will be remembered as one of the all-time greatest and longest-tenured executives in Australian sport.
Holding numerous positions including member of the FIBA Central Board for 25 years and Founder, Secretary General and President of the Oceanic Basketball Confederation spanning 35 years.
Australian basketball’s success on the world stage can be credited to the work of Al Ramsay and his lifelong commitment to the growth of the Oceanic Basketball Confederation (FIBA Oceania).
In 2004 Al was inducted into the Basketball Australia Hall of Fame, in 2006 he was elevated to Legend.
The Australian basketball family have lost a revered legend of the game, we send condolences to the family.
Vale Al Ramsay (1924-2021)
- Diploma of Physical Education at the Sydney Teachers College in 1948
- Bachelor of Science at the McGill University, in Montreal, Quebec, Canada, in 1952
- Master of Education at the University of Sydney in 1967
- Secretary of the New South Wales Basketball Association: 1955-1964
- Secretary of the Australian Basketball Union: 1963-1977
- Founder of the Oceania Basketball Confederation (current FIBA Oceania) in 1967
- Secretary General of the Oceania Basketball Confederation: 1967-1997
- President of the Oceania Basketball Confederation: 1997-2002
- Member of the FIBA Central Board for 25 years
- In 2004, Ramsay authored ‘Dunked – Australian Basketball Revealed’, a 300-page book on the history of the game in his country
DISTINCTIONS & RECOGNITIONS
- Life Member of the New South Wales Basketball Association in 1965
- Life Member of the Australian Basketball Federation in 1976
- Member of the Most Excellent Order of the British Empire (MBE) in 1980
- Fellow of the Australian Council for Health, Physical Education and Recreation in 1982
- Medal of the Order of Australia (OAM) in 1998
- Australian Sports Medal in 2000
- Life President of the Oceania Basketball Confederation in 2001
- Honorary Member of FIBA in 2002
- FIBA Order of Merit in 2002
- Inaugural Inductee of the Basketball Australia Hall of Fame in 2004
- In July 2006 the Basketball Australia Hall of Fame Honours Committee decided to promote Al Ramsay’s Hall of Fame status to ‘Legend’, the first elevation of its kind
- In addition, the winners of competitions between Australia and New Zealand are now awarded the Al Ramsay Shield, while winners of the Men’s Pacific Island Tournaments clinch the Al Ramsay Trophy